Coatings & Industry > Surface inspection
What is Optimap 2 PSD ?
- Maps, measures and quantifies surface appearance quality
- Objectively measures surface texture and waviness
- Displays images in traceable SI units (m-1) or in standard industrial scales
- Identifies and locates common surface defects
- Produces detailed full field 3D surface images
- Requires no movement over the surface
AppearanceHow does it work?
Surface Texture and Defect Analysis
Objective Appearance Measurement
For maximum consumer impact, high quality products require high quality finishes that are homogeneous, blemish and defect free. Surface finish is currently assessed subjectively by visual inspection or measured by instruments that do not capture a full picture of surface quality.
The Optimap™ is the first portable instrument to map and measure surface texture
Using an advanced measuring technique known as Phase Stepped Deflectometry (PSD) the Optimap™ is capable of making fast, objective, full field measurements over large areas requiring no movement over the surface.
Surface texture is used to quantify visible faults such as orange peel, waviness and DOI problems. It can also be used to identify local faults such as:
- orange peel
In a single fast operation the Optimap™ maps the topography of a test surface displaying faults and texture in incredible detail. Mapped information is processed into objective surface measurements that can be used to effectively control product quality. product can be compared to the Wavescan DOI.
How does it work?
• The Optimap can be battery or mains operated and is suitable for use in the laboratory or on the factory floor. It is operated by an intuitive touch screen operation and has a built in file system that allows measurements to be stored in an organized structure.
• The Optimap can measure most surfaces from ultra matt to mirror finish.
• When a measurement is initiated, an internal target screen displays a series of optical fringes. These fringes are reflected in the sample surface and captured by a camera. The typical acquisition time is < 3 seconds.
• Using a technique called PHASE stepped deflectometry the instrument builds a 3D map of the sample surface. The typical calculation time is < 5 seconds.
• The scale of the map is (curvatures m-1). The curvature map represents an exaggerated view of how the eye sees surface quality and defects
• The results can be filtered to simulate different viewing distances from:
Ta: High frequency texture which is visible from less than 1m up to Te: Waviness visible from 3m away from the surface.
• Results can be shown as texture which is compatible with other waviness measuring instruments or curvatures, a traceable measurement m-1
• The maps can be zoomed in and panned to view defects in high resolution. Stored results can be output to software for further analysis.
•Rugged and accurate the Optimap™ is suitable for laboratory, factory or on-site inspection.
•The soft touch measurement portal means the instrument can be used safely on the highest quality surfaces.
•No movement required during measurement
•Touch screen operation means operator training is minimal
•Surface texture and defects can be assessed on a huge variety of surfaces: semi matt surfaces to polished mirrors, small & curved parts
•A large area is mapped in a single operation (95 x 70mm), up to 100 times more representative than other texture scan instruments
•Onscreen texture maps show orange peel, waviness and surface defects in incredible detail
•Objective measurements can be displayed in traceable SI units or selected industrial scales
•Data and results are fully compatible with other analytical techniques and third party software
•Optional software allows sophisticated texture/fault analysis and report generation
Unique handheld measurement solution for quantifying appearance quality
The pattern acts like a ruler across the surface allowing each point (X, Y, Z) to be mapped.
By phase stepping the pattern across the surface in both directions each point on the surface is spatially modelled, to accurately calculate the curvature at each point.
Advanced Measurement technology
The Optimap2 uses Phase Stepped Deflectometry (PSD), an advanced measurement technique that uses a periodic pattern of white light with a sinusoidal waveform to measure the profile of a surface.
The waveform is presented to the surface using a high resolution display and the reflected pattern captured by a high resolution camera.
The sinusoidal waveform acts like a ruler on the surface allowing the X, Y and Z ordinates to be mapped as they are proportional to the spatial phase of the reflected sinusoidal pattern profile.
Shifuing or “stepping” the waveform phase allows an accurate measurement of each point across the surface through the corresponding point per pixel on the camera. Using the geometric relationship between the display, surface and camera, reflected light rays are spatially modelled to calculate the direction of the normal at each point of the surface thereby allowing the profile at that point to be obtained.
By using the sinusoidal pattern profile orthogonally across the surface, multi-dimensional slope and curvature data is obtained. By differentiating this data the curvature field can be calculated allowing an accurate characterisation of surface quality.
This curvature field has a high sensitivity to local altitude variations caused by defects.
Unlike other instruments the Optimap2 requires no movement over the surface as all measurements are performed optically using PSD thereby preventing any damage during operation.
Ondulo Reader Software:
Rhopoint Ondulo reader software features advanced data analysis and reporting.
•Surface effects such as texture, flatness, number, size and shape of local defects can be identified, mapped and quantified
- Drag and drop feature allows images and dat to be easily transferred to Microsoft Word for reporting.
- Flexible screen view feature allows the display of result maps in single, dual or 3D format.
- 3D view allows full rotation of surface and X/Y corss sectional views.
- Dual view allows comparison of saved result maps.
- Scaling dimensioned in either curvature (m-1) or µm.
- Profiles of curvature, slope or altitude can be characterised.
Specifications 2Included accessories
Instrument Specifications 1
Display : 6.5 inch Colour VGA TFT Touch Screen
Camera : 1.3 Megapixels, image resolution 1296 x 966
Measurement : 79mm x 57mm
Lateral Resolution : 75µm
Data storage : 200 readings
Memory : 6GB compact flash
Data transfer : PC compatible
Instrument Specifications 2
Power : Rechargeable lithium ion
4 – 8 hours operation / charge
Operate from : Internal battery / mains charger
Recharge time : Mains charger 1 – 2 hrs
Dimensions : 200mm x 218mm x 250mm (H x W x D)
Weight : 3.0Kg
Packed weight: 7.7kg
Packed dimensions: 350mm x 550mm x 450mm (H x W x D)
Commodity code: 9027 5000
- Verification tile
- USB Key
- Instruction manual
- Ondulo Reader Software
Ondulo defects detection Software
Featuring advanced tools for the identification, classification and quantification of surface defects including:
Free extended warranty
Calibration and service
Example of results obtained with the Optimap 2.
The objective is to characterize and differentiate differents films productions between 40 and 100 microns, samples from an advanced packaging solutions provider.
Extract from the analyse data report :